National lighthouse number: 27150
Description: White tower and building. Focal plane 56 m
Light Color: White
Characteristic: GpD (2+1) B 15s (group of two flashes plus one, every 15 seconds)
Range: 23 nautical miles
Active: since 1899.
This lighthouse is located in the town’s old quartes, next to the castle os the Pope Luna (Benedict XIII) and was electrified in 1929. The tower and lamp have kept their original apperarance. It was made of masonry, with ashlar detailling at the corners, and has two rectangular-shape floors that are connected by an eye-shaped spiral staircase.
Fully integrated into the old town of Peñíscola and located in the highest part, right next to the Papa Luna castle, this lighthouse was not included in the projects of the first Coastal Lighting Plan.
Designed by the engineer Francisco Pérez Alonso as a coast light to connect those of Oropesa and Buda, it was approved by R.O. of April 23, 1890 and auctioned on December 29, 1890, awarding the works to the contractor Juan Fabregat who carried them out at the price of 36,759.12 pesetas.
Inaugurated in October 1899, it was equipped with a 3rd order apparatus with a focal length of 500 mm, made up of two fixed retro-reflective zones and a rotating center of three vertical lenses, one of which was colored, moved by a motorized watchmaking machine. of weight. Along with the lantern, it had been purchased from the French house B.B.T.
The lamp was clockwork and used Scottish paraffin as fuel.
It gave the characteristic of fixed light varied by two white flashes and one red flashing repeated every 60 ”, with the focal plane located 10 m above the ground and 55 above the sea.
On August 17, 1916, a Chance pressurized oil vapor incandescent installation for 55 mm capillaries began to operate, replacing the primitive lamp, and to prevent possible emergencies a gasoline one was installed. The shortage of oil caused by the world war led to a reduction in the light output in February 1917, for which the lamp was replaced by another for 35 mm capillaries.
Fixed by Royal Order of December 18, 1917, the new appearance of groups of two white flashes separated by one isolated every 30 ”, is produced by the reform of the optics to produce it, which is achieved by eliminating the fixed light panels, magnifying the flash lenses by one and grouping them conveniently. It was also fitted with a basement with a mercury float and a 45 kg persistent movement clockwork machine. Engine weight manufactured by the Valencian Machinist. On September 27, 1920 it was inaugurated.
Nine years later, on June 15, the electrification would come into service, for which it was provided with a 3,000 spark plug filament lamp and a 3 HP Japi generator set, thus achieving a luminous range of 15 miles for the light. fixed and 35 for flashes.
The last renovation was inaugurated on March 25, 1970 and consisted of replacing the lantern with a cylindrical one with helical uprights and 2.25 meters in diameter, acquired from the Racional house, and the provision of a new base of bearings in bath of oil equipped with Pintch Bamag diopter optics of 300 mm focal length, two electric motors for rotation, 1,500 w lamp, automatic changer and a Freeport diesel generator set, an installation with which it would give the current characteristic of groups of 1 and 2 white flashes every 15 ”and 22 miles of nominal range.
The beautiful building preserves, in the tower and the lantern, the aspect that it had originally. Composed of two rectangular floors, it has dimensions of 15 x 12 meters and 5.70 meters up to the cornice. It is settled on a sloping base that spans the slope of the street and houses the basement. The upper floor distributes one of the houses and the lower one the other, the office, and the machinery and equipment room. In the center there is a rectangular hole with a translucent roof through which the staircase that connects them rises, independent of the other tower. This, octagonal prismatic shape, rises in the SE corner and is 6.5 meters high up to the cornice. Inside it is cylindrical, with a spiral staircase with an eye, and communicates directly with both floors. A tower of the same shape crowned by a second balcony and the lantern, finish it off.
Made of masonry, it has ashlar ornaments in the corners, cornices, jambs, lintels and a cord that surrounds it and 21 rectangular windows with grille and wrought iron balcony. The main door opens onto the sea façade and is arched. The sloping roof.
The rear façade faces directly onto a street in the village, in alignment with the existing houses and with the castle. The rest is surrounded by two large terraces that were paved with concrete, to increase the water collection surface for the cistern. This was built in 1932 for which the Ministry of War ceded an old powder magazine to the Ministry of Development.
Due to its situation, it is one more house in the town, with the advantageous addition of the urban environment of the old town that surrounds it, constituting a good destination and a pleasant place to live.