National lighthouse number: 27100
Description: white tower and building. Focal plane 56 m
Light color: white
Characteristic: GpD (3) B 15s (group of three flashes, every 15 seconds)
Range: 21 nautical miles
Active: since 1957.
The Cape of Oropesa divides the coast corresponding to the province of Castellón into almost two equal portions, it is salient and forms three points on its pediment, the middle one being the one that advances the most in the sea and the one chosen as the location for a third-class lighthouse order.
The Cape of Oropesa divides the coast corresponding to the province of Castellón into almost two equal portions, it is salient and forms three points on its pediment, the middle one being the one that advances the most in the sea and the one chosen as the location for a third-class lighthouse. order.
Located next to the so-called Torre del Rey, 1.8 km from the town and within a tourist area in full expansion, it was lit for the first time on April 1, 1857, with the appearance of white flashes of 3 ‘in 3 ‘and a range of 9 miles.
It was fitted with a Lepaute apparatus with a focal length of 500 mm composed of two fixed retro-reflective parts – the upper and the lower – and a central rotating part on a circular yew carriage, driven by a clockwork machine with a fin regulator and hemp ropes. . It was acquired together with the lantern, for a global price of 24,525 pesetas.
The lamp was Degrand and it was manned by two keepers. At first he used olive oil as fuel and later paraffin and oil, adapting it by means of a Dotty lighter with two wicks. It would be replaced on August 16, 1916 by a Chance pressurized oil vapor system for 35 mm capillaries.
To modernize its appearance, on June 2, 1919, a refurbished third-order optical apparatus entered service, which had been fitted with a set of external vertical lenses that rotated on basement and mercury float, driven by a rotating machine of persistent movement and motor weight. With it, it was given the appearance of a fixed light, varied by three white flashes every 30 ”.
Electrification came in 1924 when a 500-watt filament lamp was brought into focus. and a 2.5 HP Aster gasoline group. In 1955 the range would be strengthened, replacing it with another 1.00 watt.
During the war it was shut down, evicted from staff and looted.
A new and more profound modification was inaugurated on March 12, 1970. On this date, appliances and lantern were renewed, fitting a new 2.25 m diameter cylindrical from the Rational house, rotating base of bearings in oil bath of the same manufacturer, electric rotary motors, Pintch Bamag 250 mm focal length diopter optics, automatic changer and two Ruston and Fita diesel generators. This would present a group appearance of 3 flashes every 15 ”and a nominal range of 21 miles.
Structurally, the building is semicircular, 14 meters in diameter, finished in a rectangle on the main façade. At first it had a single floor distributed in a room, a kitchen and a living room for each of the tower keepers, an engineer’s room, a warehouse and a cleaning room, with an entrance hall and a corridor that surrounded the tower and gave access to the gaps. The sloping roof had an ashlar cornice that also adorned the jambs and lintels of doors and windows. The tower is cylindrical in shape and rises from the center of the circle, ending in a cornice of ashlar masonry that supported a first balcony. From there, a tower of 2 meters high was finished off by the decagonal lantern of flat glass that was surrounded by another balcony to facilitate the cleaning of the windows from the outside.
As with all round headlights, the skill was very low and an extension had to be considered immediately. This was built obtaining a second floor over the original one, according to a project by the engineer Pelegrin Sans signed in 1887 and approved on September 30, 1891, giving it the aesthetic appearance that it has today. Although there are several other projects throughout history, they have only affected the interior layout and various minor repairs. Today it houses two houses, an office and an engine room.