Press releases

PortCastelló tenders the drafting of the construction project of the intermodal station

21 January 2022

Estación intermodal

The Port Authority of Castellón is putting out to tender the drafting of the construction project for the intermodal station for 395,000 euros and a drafting period of ten months. With this, the definitive step is taken for the construction of an essential infrastructure for the competitiveness of the port of Castellón and its companies. The necessary investment to undertake this infrastructure will reach 20 million euros and will be financed by the funds of the Recovery and Resilience Mechanism (MRR).The intermodal station will be located on the route of the new southern railway access to the port of Castellón and will occupy an area of ​​300,000 square metres, which will allow a bundle of rails for receiving/dispatch and loading/unloading of goods for 750-meter trains. All roads will have mixed width. In addition, the station will be electrified and will have a truck-rail transfer area and a storage area for optimal operations.The intermodal is designed for an average traffic scenario of 40 trains per week and a total of 90,000 TEUs per year, 60,000 UTIs per year and around 1.7 million tons moved on the horizon of 2044. However, the infrastructure is It will be developed in several phases to optimize its exploitation and foresees future extensions to respond to the real needs of demand in the coming years. This infrastructure will be at the service of the productive sectors of the province, given that 97% of the ceramic industry will be less than 40 kilometers from the station, while it will open up new opportunities for the chemical and energy sector that is located next to the port.

It should be remembered that a study was drawn up on land intermodal demand generated by the industrial production of the province of Castellón and the maritime demand linked to the traffic of the port of Castellón. The study concluded that 39% of the load of the intermodal station will be provided by the port of Castellón and the remaining 61% will be land traffic. It also confirmed that a good part of the 3.7 million tons of annual goods that are supplied from Castellón to the rest of the European Union, and which are now distributed by road, can be relocated by lowering logistics costs for Castellón companies. Those 3.7 million tons are mainly from the ceramic and agri-food sector.

Quiero recibir las notas de prensa